Thursday, October 21, 2010

Second gay teen this month takes his life-- 17 yr old Terrell Williams


Terrel Williams, a 17-year-old native of Beverly Hills, CA, took his life on October 13, just hours after being attacked by five other high school students, and pushed and thrown into a brick wall at Clover Park High School in Lakewood, WA.
Terrel’s mother, Cheryl Williams, found her son in their Lakewood home — he had hanged himself in his bedroom closet. Terrel left a suicide note:
“I’m sorry to my immediate loved ones, but I feel suicide is the only way out. I felt coming out, and being happy with Daric, was the best thing I could’ve ever done. But I didn’t think it would lead to my death at an early age.
“Today, was the record worst day of my life, some kids at school stole some of my stuff that I got from people I really cared about, and that really pushed me over the top, next to being shoved into a wall, and my ribs being broken.”
In a statement posted on Terrel’s Twitter page on Wednesday, Cheryl Williams wrote:
"My son meant the world, and high school bullies pushed him over the edge. I hope and pray, that no other child ever has to go through what he did. Bullying isn’t worth it. Why can’t people just be nice?"

This Saturday would have been Terrel’s 18th birthday, and the 7th anniversary of Terrel’s and Daric’s relationship.
The boys met and became friends when they were 10 and 9 years old, respectively. “We began as play dates, like anybody else would, and as we got older into the teen years, his parents allowed us to give dating a shot,” said Daric, who is now 16 years old.
“Terrel was a compassionate, fun loving, outgoing person who enjoyed life to the fullest,” said Daric.
“He loved life, but felt the need to take it, because [the bullying] didn’t stop … respectful, whole hearted people like Terrel, and the growing number of others, shouldn’t have to feel suicide is the answer, because bullies won’t stop.”
To date, there has not been any formal action yet from the school district in regards to the bullying incident.
On September 31, Terrel suffered a gunshot wound to the chest while visiting New York City in what appeared to be an attempted mugging.
Terrel’s death is the second reported suicide this month among gay teens, and follows an epidemic of LGBT suicides reported in the past 6 weeks. In September, at least 6 teens teens committed suicide as a result of anti-gay bullying and intolerance.
Yesterday we reported that 19-year-old Corey Jackson, of Warren, MI, was found in a wooded area of the Oakland University campus in Rochester, MI. The Oakland County medical examiner confirmed Corey’s death was also a suicide by hanging

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so sad. My heart goes out to the families.

Unknown said...

This is so so sad. My heart goes out to the families.

algie said...

to a world sick with homophobia and hatred of any kind...get well soon

Zo said...

This really saddens my heart. I can remember being 17! Growing up in the South is just as bad, but I had the faith of God, support of family, and MY Desire to WANT to be here. I hate he couldn't talk to anyone. God bless this child.

Adrion Walker said...

I will speak up from now on.