Monday, February 15, 2010

SGL Weekly Issue #40 Andre Allen


I recently sat down with Editor Cleavester Brooks of SGL Weekly for an in-depth interview check out the interview below and make sure you pick up your copy today at http://magcloud.com/browse/Issue/62334


Hello Andre, How are you doing? I am doing well and thank you for interviewing me for your magazine. You have done great job with this magazine and again thanks for choosing little ole me to be apart of such greats who have been given the honor to grace your cover.

What is your blog Andre's Flava about? Its a mixture of entertainment,sports, and community news that affects the black LGBT community as a whole and every now and again i share my personal life.

When did you start it? I started blogging back on September of 2005 after returning from the Black Gay Research Summitt in NYC where i had the opportunity to meet alot of the orginally bloggers and leaders of the commnity at the time which included shelton jackson, keith boykin, frank roberts such to name a few people. My blog was orginally named lauderboi1500 since at the time i was living in Ft. Lauderdale,FL

How much time do you spend on your blog? Where do you get you idea's from? I spend alot of time on the blog depending on how i am feeling at the time to be honest. I get ideas from world news and whats effectiving our community.


Who is Andre Allen? I am a laid back person who tries his best to do right by people and is a very caring and giving person. I also like to give a helping hand to the community when need be. I have been a Community activist since 2003 and lending my voice to the south florida community prior to me moving to DC I have yet to get involve here in DC because i feel that DC does not have a cohesive community that gives a damn about one another.


Where are you from? I am orginally from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and have been living in the DC area since December 2007.


What was life like growing up? Life had its ups and down but in the end it allowed me to be a strong person that i am today because of it.

What did you want to be growing up? I wanted to be a journalist and in high school i was high school sports editor as well as a freelance writer for the Miami Hearld while in High School which allowed me to cover High School Sports in the area.

When did you catch HIV?I had a threesome with a childhood friend of mine and a former high school basketball coach. Condoms were used doing the act but somehow along the way during the act a condom came off and well i became positive. I must say i do not harbor any bad feelings at all for becoming infecting. It has allowed me to do alot of great things in the community because of it and i have met alot of great people who i probably not have come in contact with if i was negative in my opinion. I became positive in Oct of 2003.


What advice would you give to people out there? Never give up on your dreams no matter how long they take to achieve them. Never lose hope and always press forward no matter how hard life might seem at the moment. Stay Focus and keep your eye on the prize.

If you had a chance to start over would you? Um I ask myself that question alot and sometimes the answer is yes and sometimes its no because if i do that i wuold miss out on what has already happen and if i dont it gives me the opportunity to correct my wrongs and make them right.

Which talent would you most like to have? What is your guilty pleasure? sweets are my guilty pleasure. especially chocolate and I love cooking when i am up to it and in the mood too.

What has been your biggest sexual fantasy? Wow thats a good one my biggest sexual fantasy i guess i am not gay because i can honestly say i do not have one at the moment. I think i have fulfilled most of the fantasies that i have wanted thus far and if something comes up and i want it i will conquer it.

When did you have your first kiss? I had my first kiss when i was 18 along with my first sexual expierence.

Mr Right or Mr Right Now? Mr Right because you can have mr right now and in the end he may not be mr right for the Long Term but Mr Right Now for the time and i dont want that.

Favorite Southern Dish? well i would not consider my self a typical southern because i am a very very picky eater and i do not eat any and everything. lol but i will eat anything Italian.


What do you look for in a guy? I look for someone who is caring, compassionate, has a good a head on their shoulder as well as can bring 100 percent to the relationship and not half. I need someone who will be there thick thru thin. I am not the one that has a list of criteria's like a lot of folks i am a simple guy wanting another simple person who does not come with excessive baggage because we all have baggage just be open and honest and we will be ok.

Do you want to get married and have babies? Why or Why Not? Yes i love kids and kids have always have a special place in my heart even though i am still a young person myself i would be a great father. And as far as marriage if i find Mr. Right and the opportunity presented itself sure i would get maried in a heartbeat.


Celebrity you've been mistaken for? Lol no one that i can think of. I was called Steve Urkel when i was younger and my mom thought i looked like Fred Astire.


Tell me something about you that your fans may be surprised to know? I am a very low key person who is mostly a home body person. Give me a good book or movie and i am content. I am not a party person at all so you wont see me in the clubs and bars like that.


What can we expect from you in the future? in the future you can expect me being more active and helping to guide this community in the right direction along side some of our upcoming and active leaders already in our community who are doing great things. Leaders such as Darian Aaron, Xem Van Adams, Lonnell Williams, Derrick Briggs and many others.


How can the people get in contact with you? You Can contact me via www.twitter.com/andresflava as well as you can find me on facebook by searching Andre Allen Do you have any special message for our readers? Nothing that i can think of off the top of my head. Just continue to be the best you can be. Continue to fight the good fight for all people and most of all BE YOU! and dont let no one or thing change you.

Thank you Andre for taking the time to do this interview.

No comments: