Friday, January 15, 2010

Bishop Alfred Owens Homophobic Rant at Mount Calvary Church in DC

I have alot of associates who are gay and out and attend Mount Calvary Baptist Church here in DC and for the life of me i still cant til this day understand why they choose to attend a church where the pastor Bishop Alfred Owens is so homophobic and says ass backward crap that comes out of his mouth from the pulpit in regards to the gay community and the gays that attend that church continue to fellowship and praise Owens as if he is doing the right thing. Wrong is wrong and someone in that church needs to stand up to him. As many openly gay people attend that church and is actively involved in the church how can Bishop Owens not know he has gay members in his church?? Below is what local dc resident Jon Mack had to say about his expierence while attending this church on Jan 3, 2010.



Jon Mack and his partner, Michael Garrett tells DC Agenda "they were startled and deeply hurt when Bishop Alfred Owens, the church pastor, appeared to be sending them and other same-sex couples a blunt message Jan. 3." “Sex is only pleasing to God in the marriage bed, and the marriage bed is a man and … a woman!” Owens shouted from the pulpit, with hundreds in the church pews shouting their approval, according to accounts by Mack and Garrett. “If marriage wasn’t between a man and a woman, you wouldn’t be here because two men doing it don’t produce no kids,” Owens said. “And two women doing it don’t produce no kids! It’s all about family,” he said as members of the congregation continued to clap and cheer. “During this homophobic rant, me and my partner got up and walked out,” said Mack, 28.“What hurt me more than what he said is how the congregation yelled and agreed with him,” Mack said. “It showed me that people that don’t even know me hate me just because of my sexuality.” Garrett said his initial reaction upon hearing Owens’ hostile references to gays in the Jan. 3 sermon was to blame himself for continuing to attend Greater Mount Calvary services, despite the reports from friends and acquaintances that Owens is hostile to gays. “Since going there for the past year, I never heard anything out of the way like that,” Garrett said. “So a lot of it was inspirational up until that point. And it kind of took me aback. … And then due to the fact that Jon and I are together and we’re going to see about getting married in D.C., it really was like, ‘Why am I supporting this person? How come I couldn’t see this beforehand?’”



Thanks to blogger and friend Darian Aaron for sharing this story on his site and make sure you check him out at www.loldarian.com

No comments: