Monday, May 10, 2010

RIP LENA HORNE June 30, 1917- May 9, 2010)


Lena Horne, Singer and Actress, Dies at 92 on Sunday night at New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York. She is well known for her voice but we all loved her in the 1978 she played Glinda the Good Witch in “The Wiz,” the film version of the all-black Broadway musical based on “The Wizard of Oz.”

Ms. Lena Horne was the first black performer to be signed to a long-term contract by a major Hollywood studio and who went on to achieve international fame as a singer. When she turned 80 she had this to say “My identity is very clear to me now. I am a black woman. I’m free. I no longer have to be a ‘credit.’ I don’t have to be a symbol to anybody; I don’t have to be a first to anybody. I don’t have to be an imitation of a white woman that Hollywood sort of hoped I’d become. I’m me, and I’m like nobody else.”


Below is Lena Horne Singing "If you Believe" from The Movie "The Wiz"

No comments: