Friday, May 7, 2010

My Coming Out Story


Ishared my story with my very good friend tron from http://www.whatsthet.com/ so i thought i would share the story with my readers as well in honor of Mother' Day Weekend.


Wow…well my coming out story is a story of a boy who grew up in the church and took in a lot of the church activities as a youth. As I began to get into finding out who I was and where my life would take me, I came to the realization that indeed I was attracted to the same sex. At first, it was a scary thing that I couldn’t come to grips with. I honestly believe that rejection from girls that I were attracted to, played a crucial factor in this part as well.

I was raised in a Jamaican household were gays were looked down upon and ridiculed
Despite my family’s Jamaican roots, I felt that my decision to come out to them would be fine based on their love and dedication. I was wrong! My grandmother told me i was going to hell and that it was an abomination and started quoting bible scriptures to me. Deep down, I knew it hurt her that her eldest grandchild would not bare her any great grandkids and because of that she lashed out at me.

My aunt would wake me up early every morning for about a month yelling and screaming “FAGGOT” and that she hated me. Although the words of my family have hurt me it has also made me the stronger person I am today.

My mother, even-though she does not approve, has come to grips with my sexuality. I have been estranged from my family for the last 10 years. Recently, the death of my father last month brought me and my mother back a little closer. We have never been a unified family but I have reached out more and hope that eventually time will heal all wounds.

1 comment:

algie said...

this is why we have to keep that relationship with god close to us because when people come against us especially family gods voice will remind us that he created us and loves us for who we are and you will hear that loud and clear when that personal relationship with god is set in stone.andre i want you to know that one of the most beautiful humanly angels he created was you and don't you let anyone tell you different...muah!!!