Sunday, February 22, 2009

Can Morehouse tolerate Gays on Campus???


-From the Desk of King D


Preface: Andre requested I read an article entitled, “When does gay tolerance go too far?” by Gerren Gaynor, that appeared in the student newspaper at Morehouse College and provide my thoughts. You can read the full article and my response below.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A dialogue between heterosexual and homosexual males about gay tolerance at Atlanta’s historically black “all male” college is just what the doctor ordered. Gays at this historically black college is just like oil-and-vinegar, they really just don’t seem to mix well. But this goes deeper than just the moral, religious, and philosophical implications of Morehouse openly accepting “gays” on their campus. It really has more to do with us “African Americans” or “Black” as a people. Gays have always been shunned by the black family, the black church, historically black fraternities, and consequently our historically black colleges and universities. It seems it is damn near impossible for us as a people to have this very important conversation. Even though many other ethnic groups seems to have addressed this issue or at least are a little bit further along in the conversation, than we are. This conversation would do a lot to help us in many ways, with dealing with homophobic crimes and attitudes, to dealing with rising HIV rates among our African American sisters who may or may not have dealt with a DL brother, and rising HIV rates among our youth. It is imperative to have this conversation to tackle several issues linked to gay tolerance directly and indirectly.



I am so sorry the “boys” of Morehouse can’t seem to get it together to accept others as they are. I guess they have yet to pass “Manhood 101” to graduate to the level of a “man”. If a man walking by with a pocket book will make you blush, there may be something wrong with you, not them. It has more to do with you not reaching that point in your life when you are comfortable with your sexuality, knowing who you are, and what you are about. For instance, as a gay black man, I don’t understand my feminine counterparts, transexuals, and the completely closeted DL guy, but I respect them. I might not understand, but I don’t put them down, I try to learn from them what I can when I do come in contact with them, and furthermore I always try to keep an open mind when dealing with them. A lot of times as a man, you might not understand the fact, but you at least respect it, even when there may be difference that you don’t particularly like. That is it the whole idea of manhood and making that leap into being a man. I hope at Morehouse they are in the business of not just educating our black males, but making them into men as well.



I am really glad Gerren wrote this article and that it appeared at the most appropriate place; a historically black campus of an all male school. How fitting?!! Even though I kind of get where Gerren is coming from but this is just the first part of many conversations that we as a black community need to have.


*And Gerren, your article does imply that having gays at Morehouse does damage the image of Morehouse. I won’t even touch that issue at this point.*

1 comment:

The Doc said...

I'm responding prior to reading the original article...but I agree. I'm on the article next! One thing that I wholeheartedly agree with and have had to mature myself in is when you said: " If a man walking by with a pocket book will make you blush, there may be something wrong with you, not them. It has more to do with you not reaching that point in your life when you are comfortable with your sexuality, knowing who you are, and what you are about."

That is soooooo true!